fR3jclIIszb96iOdpqMK80eDe-U My Half Assed Life: Bunkhouse woes and morning wood.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Bunkhouse woes and morning wood.

There's no getting around it. Bunkhouse life can be hard on our offshore workers. Picture anywhere from 40 to 60 men or women living in one house. We have a men's bunkhouse and a women's.

The kitchen must be shared, and with that many people all wanting something different, there's never enough room for everybody. I've heard of some men or women having to wait until midnight for a turn at one of the stoves.

Jamaican's and Mexicans do not normally eat out of a box. There's no such thing as throwing a frozen pizza in the oven and calling it good enough.

Sleeping arrangements are rows of bunkbeds. As one woman described it you roll one way and see a naked lady, roll the other way and see another one. It's one of the reasons most offshore workers will work while ill. There's no peace to be found at the bunkhouse.

Showers are banks of stalls with a curtain to offer some modesty. With only 14 of them for 60 women, I would imagine most showers are kept brief no matter how plentiful the hot water is. 

I was talking to a couple of the ladies towards the end of the day. As someone who requires a significant amount of alone time, I can't imagine living cheek to jowl with another 59 women. I mentioned my sympathy for the situation. One of the women recalled a time where she had mentioned the bunkhouse issue to a higher up.

Worker: Sometimes women need some privacy. Like when they have their monthly troubles and feel uncomfortable dealing with that with so many people around.

Higher up: Well just imagine the men when they are having their morning troubles.

This is how I wound up with a mental image of 60 men staggering around half awake tenting their boxers. No faces or anything. More like a herd of those male underwear mannequins.

Kind of like the scene from Toy Story with the claw and the little space guys milling around. Only instead of space guys it's legless and headless torsos with morning wood.

I almost pissed myself laughing.


19 comments:

  1. Great now thats what Im picturing too! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wish I were handier with Adobe just so I could make a picture of my mental imagery.

      Delete
  2. Your title alone was hilarious enough...and then your imagination! Love it. Put a smile on my face today...b/c apparently because I'm really, really mature and "morning wood" cracks me up! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I supposed we all do what we have to do, but I'm pretty sure that I would not survive 5 minutes in that scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh trust me - I would have to be medicated to endure any more than 5 minutes.

      Delete
  4. Wow that was a terrible thing to tell her. I didn't picture men with morning wood, but I did picture a bunch of men getting their periods and freaking out and trying to find tampons and whining about the cramps and how they feel so bloated. If there was a kind and loving god, I think that higher deserves a menstrual cycle or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny story, but offshore quarters seem spacious compared to a submarine packed with 150 men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now I have an image of five dozen pairs of tented boxers shuffling around...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL... I have wondered that myself once in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha now I have that mental image too. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that image is stuck in my brain, now. Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure when I'll get this one outta my head!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a bunch of pricks! Ha! See what I did there?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning wood is a serious epidemic! When you have it, its embarrassing as all hell. When you don't have it, the doctors tell you something is wrong with you and prescribe you blue pills to bring it back. See how complicated this all is?

    ReplyDelete