fR3jclIIszb96iOdpqMK80eDe-U My Half Assed Life: Snooze alarm math, because getting up is hard to do.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Snooze alarm math, because getting up is hard to do.

I'm incapable of properly setting a real alarm clock every time the power flickers, so I use my phone. Whenever I need an alarm at a different time, I make a new one. I'm up to four now and they are all set to go off every day except Sunday. I would rather have my sleep disturbed repeatedly than risk oversleeping.

I don't know what I was thinking when I chose an alarm that sounds like sunshine shining, unicorns farting glitter and birds singing for the one that goes off at 5:30 am. In reality it's dark, the effing wind is howling and there is no glitter. This morning I hit the snooze twice and by the third time had convinced myself that I didn't really need to go in an hour early to catch up from being off work for a few days. Half an hour would be plenty so I dismissed the singing birds and the glitter farts.

When the second alarm with it's more traditional annoying beep beep went off, I started doing my snooze alarm math.

My Brain: I need to leave at x time and it will take me y to get ready which =a+2b+c. I can hit the snooze one more time because I know where there is a matching pair of socks.

After it went off the third time I considered the howling wind, snow, and Arctic temperatures. Instead of hitting the snooze another couple or three times, I got up and made the coffee and did some more math.

My Brain: The roads are snowy so I need to an extra 10 minutes travel time but I've got plenty of time to sit and have another cup of coffee.

I toast the first bagel in between brushing my teeth, when it's done I pop the second one in and run out and start the car - OMG it's cold! One minute to throw my hair in a pony, 30 seconds to reapply my deodorant because I forgot that I had already put it on. Another 3 minutes to gather up my work phone and my personal phone, cream cheese my bagels and put everything in my backpack.

Then I went out to the car where the ice and snow had melted not at all. I brushed and scraped and then brushed some more.

My Brain: I wonder who thought an aluminum handle on an ice scraper that you use in the cold was a good idea.

My Brain: An idiot that's who because my hands are freezing.

I got in the car and tried to back out of my driveway. Cursed, got out of my car and shoveled the snow drift away from the wheels. Got back in the car and after some rocking back and forth I was on my way. I arrived at work five minutes earlier than my usual time.

It's a damn good thing I was trying to get to work early or I would have been late.


14 comments:

  1. Ha, you are so like me. I could snooze forever and Paul springs out of the bed, which is a good thing because otherwise I would always be late. There is always time for another cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that half hour of extra sleep in 9 minute increments is my most refreshing sleep.

      Delete
  2. The best thing about wearing boots in winter is that you don't have to match your socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because they always end up sliding off inside of the boots and jammed in the toes.

      Delete
  3. I’m the official morning person in the family. Not to show off, or anything, but I usually get up on the alarm’s first ring. Mrs C, by contrast, has the uncanny ability to sleep through every alarm, even the ones she sets herself. I usually have to wake her & give her about half an hour to come to terms with having to get up, while I go make the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around me you would have to be fast to even get a chance to hear the first ring. I can slap the snooze that fast.

      Delete
  4. I haven't set an alarm in ages. Either my son or husband or the dog wakes me up. Of course, I treat my husband like he has a snooze button: "just ten more minutes, please."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I actually put my car in gear and hit the gas and nothing happened. I mean, the engine revved and I could feel the transmission trying to work, but the car just did not move at all. Being a rocket scientist I pushed the gas harder. Eventually there was a tremendous CRACK! sound and my car leaped forward. It drove fine after that. Apparently it had literally frozen to the parking space. When I got to work and told my coworkers, one of them told me he had the exact same experience. So I guess I'm not special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushing the gas harder is always the correct response - until it's not.

      Delete
  6. Haha That was a fun read ! I used to do the same maths when I was in university Lol I still have those saved alarms in my phone :) Love it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am that paranoid about either forgetting to set an alarm or setting it wrong.

      Delete
  7. We have remarkably similar brains. This is why I am no good at working in an office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a struggle for me to overcome inertia. I dream of a job that lets me work from home even though a part of me is afraid I would dribble the day away and never actually work.

      Delete