fR3jclIIszb96iOdpqMK80eDe-U My Half Assed Life: A Well Spent Day Off

Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Well Spent Day Off

After months of working 6 days a week, I finally took a day off. It happened to fall on the weekend The Polish Guy (formerly the boyfriend, but he wanted his own cool pseudonym) and I have our kids.

I could have spent my day off cleaning, but since I would have just wound up napping and fucking around on the internet anyway, I chose to treat it like a bonus day. I asked my favorite redhead (the step-daughter) if she wanted to go check out Value Village.

Favorite Redhead: I love that place.

The Bonus Son*: Can we go too? I want to go and get some art pens.

So I shoveled some of the crap out of my car and four teenagers crammed themselves into my little Cavalier.

Me: You guys get any bigger and I'm going to look like I'm driving around a clown car full of clowns.

This is how I verbalize my love - they get it.

Value Village is an entertaining store to browse once you get past the funk of old clothing and old people wearing Brut cologne.

We browsed the books and I found five - sometimes my psyche needs a real book in my hand. Three of them are part of a YA series, because I'm a sucker for a series. If it's well written I don't care who the target audience is, I'll read it. 

Proof that women are not kind to each other.


That's right - six weeks to get skinnier than all your friends. 

Then housewares for my next score.


A plug in wall clock that still works. Children of the seventies will remember these, along with those colors - Harvest Gold and Coppertone Brown. Otherwise known as baby shit yellow and poo brown. The plug in kitchen wall clock has gone the way of the party-line. Thankfully so have the colors along with their ugly step-sister Avocado Green.

We hit the handbags. Usually I don't see a damn thing there but cheap cracked vinyl purses. Which if I want a purse that smells that bad, I think I can throw in an extra 5.99 and let it aquire my own purse aroma. But I found a really nice beaded evening bag.


It's one of those things every woman needs at least once in her life, but if you're only going to need it once why buy new.

We discovered the reason Snuffleupagus is such a sad fellow.


Who knew the poor guy lost his Grandmother to hunters and she was turned into a wall hanging. I apologize for the blur, I was feeling so sad for poor poor Mr. Snuffleupagus my hands were shaky. There's some feathers on there so they probably got one of Big Birds relatives too.

The Redhead found a score of her own in belts & scarves.


A belt made of pop-can tabs. She passed on the feather boa, but we had to get the belt. In her words it's sick.

We checked out the clothing a little bit, and giggled like little kids over the skanky lingerie. We're both in agreement that used underwear is a secondhand line that should never be crossed. 

Toss in two picture frames because you can't beat $1.99 and a ceramic elephant because he was cute and fifty bucks later we were out of there.

Today will be my avoid housework by fucking around on the internet and napping day. I might get my new clock hung though. Probably in the bedroom where it can join my telephone clock.


*The Bonus Son is the stepson - he's a great kid and as much a pleasure to be around as his sister, so that's why he's the bonus. One of life's unexpected gifts.

7 comments:

  1. That's a great score!! And so there IS a name for that poo brown...that bugged me all night last night because I couldn't remember it

    I'm a VV Boutique addict...I've found the coolest clothes/shoes/golf equipment there...good quality stuff in fantastic condition for super cheap!

    Enjoy your relaxing day...I just finished cleaning so the rest of the day is mine to do absolutely nothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a beautiful wool winter dress coat there once - $18.00. Again, it's one of those things you really need to have in your closet but if I wear it once every five years that will be a lot. So $18 instead of $180 was perfect for me!

      Delete
  2. Love the clock! My parents bought the house I grew up in when I was three. It had avocado green shag carpet. I agree about second hand under garments. You've made me want to go to our local resale shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice afternoon. I like to go for the books - we don't have a good used book store locally.

      Delete
  3. I adore second-hand shops. We have a Value World here. I just bought a pair of sweat pants & a sweat shirt/pants set for a total of $1.43. And, I also agree that used undergarments are absolutely out of the question! I'd go commando before I would ever buy them.
    I love that you gave the boyfriend a name. I'm 100% Polish myself so I like the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boyfriend is second generation Canadian - so he very strongly identifies with his Polish ancestry.

      Delete
  4. Omg, I love thrift stores and now they're becoming part of the "trendy" life style and I noticed that the prices are being jacked up but whatever. You still can beat those thrift stores for time travels back to the 70's. Love it!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete