fR3jclIIszb96iOdpqMK80eDe-U My Half Assed Life: Thank You's, Personnel Appraisals and The Question

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Thank You's, Personnel Appraisals and The Question

Today was all about personnel appraisals, getting ready to give them and getting my own.

The Question was asked. The one I've known was coming and am no more prepared to answer than I was when I started the job.

Are you up for moving into a Management position?

There are a lot of reasons for my mixed reactions to this question. Number one would be the fact that my co-supervisor works ten times harder than anyone I know. If the Mennonite culture weren't so against education, I can guarantee you trying to answer that question wouldn't even be a future dream for me.

Number two would be the honest fact that I am more firmly planted in the "I work to live" camp than I ever will be in the "I live to work" camp. I need to have some sense of how many hours of my life the position would take. Life has to have some sort of balance between the things I love to do and the things I need to do. That and the fact that I was heavily shat upon in my last position. The one where they wanted me to act as a manager but weren't willing to pony up any cash. 

Anyhow that's a decision for another day.

Meanwhile, it's time to publicly accept some blogging awards that have come my way recently. Those are honors I can accept completely reservation free.

The first one was not so recent and right on the heels of my previous thank you post. I fervently hope that doesn't make me a complete douche bag. First for letting this lovely award languish for nearly a month. This is why bills are constantly sneaking up on me - I have no concept of time passing. Second for mentioning that I have a previous thank you post. I hate patting myself on the back - it's such an awkward position. Really have you not ever seen someone try to pat themselves on the back? They look like tools.

versatile-blogger

Dawn from Life With The Girl Next Door presented me with the Versatile Blogger Award. I think Life With The Girl Next Door might be the Yin to my Yang, or at least the positive to my negative. Also? She's a huge Dr. Who fan and I know some of you out there totally relate to that.

http://laugh-lines.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/liebster-blog-award-11-1.jpg

Tamara from The Zookeepers Wife tagged me with a hit list of questions back when we were all going through that Circle of Moms insanity. Do check her out - she studies astrology in addition to blogging so you know she's cool.

Then Vikki Claflin from Laugh Lines presented me with the Leibster. Vikki is absolutely hilarious. Seriously she made me shoot a carbonated beverage out of my nose, which stings by the way. Especially when it contains whiskey. Not only is she funny but if you've seen her Twitter avi - she's rocking this middle age thing - which makes me kind of envious. I mean funny and hot? I occasionally pull off funny, but my hot expired a couple of decades ago. Vikki is also super generous with her RT's on twitter.


Then last night Kianwi at Simply She Goes hit me with the One Lovely Blog Award. Kianwi has a dog named Kody. I have a dog named Louie. I think we both consider our dogs kids in fur which must almost qualify us as sisters or something. Personally of all my kids, the dog has so far turned out the best. Sorry kids, practice makes perfect. If you haven't yet met Kianwi, please do go see her - she is super nice and we all need a little bit more nice in our lives. She lives almost close enough to me for a doggy play date - if it weren't for those pesky international borders.

So all of these awards come with a laundry list of rules, and since I have real laundry waiting to be folded I'm just going to tell you a few random facts.

I despise Play-Doh, but not for the same reason most people despise it. I hate the smell of Play-Doh. Especially the blue Play-Doh. I hated the smell so bad that my kids were only allowed to have it at Gramma's. Lucky for them their Gramma totally rocked and she supplied them with a shit ton of Play-Doh cutters and accessories.

I can't stand wet Band-Aids. So much so, that the only way I will put a Band-Aid on any part of my hand is if the likelihood of you being grossed out by blood is at least 100 times higher than the likelihood of me washing my hands or dishes in the near future. In other words - hardly never.

I love X-men. If my kids didn't like it when they were small too effing bad - that was what we watched. I don't collect comic books or anything, but I would totally collect Hugh Jackman's boots under my bed. I would even take cartoon Wolverine's boots.

I'm super glad I had boys instead of girls. I used to get these looks of pity from other moms at swim lessons and what not, but I think they may have gotten the short end of the stick. Going through pre-menopause and dealing with the drama of a tween or teen girl and her PMS would have me moving on from self-medication into doctor prescribed pharmaceuticals. Or weed. One of those.

As I was typing that last paragraph Asshat #1 was invading Asshat #2's bedroom so he could spit water at his brother. 

I'm a big Negative Nelly most of the time, but for the past while I've had this deep unshakeable faith that good things are headed my way. I hope I'm not suffering from delusions.

Also, now that I'm nearly done? My eyeballs feel like they are being stabbed because I was too lazy to go find my glasses.

Now we all know that the next part of these awards is passing them on. There are so many blogs that I'm currently following and there are so many warm friendly people that I've met over the past couple of months I honestly would not know where to start. So how about if you take a gander at my blog roll? Click the little see all link at the bottom too - they are all awesome and worth the read.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had boys, too. Reading your stories about them makes. my. day. I've gone back and re-read the bathroom story at least 5 times. SO FUNNY. Congrats on all of your awards. You deserve every one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Asshats have actually been kind of quiet the past couple of weeks. Sorry about that. Not really though.

      Thank you for the lovely compliment - it means the world to me.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the offer, but don't do it! I was in your position...Well, no I wasn't. I hated my job but then took a management position. Things did not go well.
    Also, congrats on the awards. As a new reader, I look forward to seeing the magic that lead to your accolades (no pressure). Never mind, you just transitioned from using "Asshat" in reference to your kids, then immediately called yourself "Negative Nelly" in the next thought. Well done.
    The mere mention of "wet bandaids" made me nearly vomit. Also, great name for a punk band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a band were to name themselves Wet Band-Aids, I wouldn't ever be able to speak of them without gagging. Maybe if you're a punk band that's the effect you want?

      Stick around and you'll completely get why the Asshats are referred to in this blog as the Asshats. Or maybe you'll just wonder why you never tried that when you were younger, unless you fall into the category that says "Oh yeah I remember doing that! It was fucking awesome!".

      Delete
  3. I am not good management material. I'd rather just do my thing and everyone leave me alone about it. Are you deciding against the management track or just deciding not to decide yet? Congratulations on the awards - you consistently make me laugh and I always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly deciding I'm not quite ready for it. I think when I hit my one year anniversary I'll be ready. Once you go that route there are meetings and more discussions with other managers - I need a little more time to get over my last position so I can approach the challenge in a positive manner.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the all boys thing. I can't imagine having to handle more than one bleeding female in the house. I barely handle myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Of course when those boys become teens and young adults they like to try out a few digs on mom if she's grumpy. "Looks like mom's riding the cotton pony" has been heard coming out of the oldest's mouth.

      Delete
  5. "...but for the past while I've had this deep unshakeable faith that good things are headed my way. I hope I'm not suffering from delusions."

    Gee, I know someone who could look into that for you. ;)

    Jealous. I have three girls. One has already met Aunt Rose, one needs to before I fricking kill her, and I'm at the hot flash hormonal phase. I have a feeling my husband is loading up on the tranquilizer darts as we speak..

    Thanks for the shout out, but I'm a tough one to make laugh. You? Crack me up every single day. Any awards you get are more than well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fair - every parent should get tranquilizer darts.

      Delete