fR3jclIIszb96iOdpqMK80eDe-U My Half Assed Life: Why Yeah Write is the best community on the internet.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why Yeah Write is the best community on the internet.

My first Yeah Write challenge was Challenge #55. I've been hooked ever since.

It was a different blog, and I was a baby blogger. Not a blogger who blogs about babies, but a newbie.

Completely green to the blogging world. 

I had absolutely no concept of how to write a post that people wanted to read. Even less idea of how to craft a post that made people want to come back and read what I had to say the next day. My kids were mostly grown. My life consisted of the regular every day ho hum that every mom lives. Work, supper, house work and just life. No special skills, no fashion sense and no time for crafts.

What the hell am I going to blog about? What is my shtick?

Well guess what? Erica, the curator of Yeah Write is a huge fan of the short story. One of the things that participating in the Yeah Write link up will teach you is how to tell a compelling story.

That's what bloggers do - we take a single minute from our day or event from our past, and tell the story. We give it a beginning, a middle and an end. We flesh out the details, while eliminating the noise in the background. Yeah Write teaches you how to hone that post down and cut the clutter.

You don't need the back story to tell the main story. If you do it right, the main story will stand alone. 

Telling the story is only part of the blogging experience, once we've told it then we pray someone will read it and comment on it.

That is another thing that participating in Yeah Write will give you. It's not a willy nilly link-up. Participants are capped at 50. Period. In order to participate - you must be willing to read the posts your fellow challenge members have linked.

Every single one of them.

Up to 50 of them, and let me tell you when I first started linking up with Yeah Write the grid was half full by the time you woke up the next morning. Bloggers stayed awake until 12:01, just to claim their spot on the grid.

To bring you the most page views possible another rule of Yeah Write is your post must be dated the Sunday prior to the grid opening. Does that seem too picky to you?

Consider this - I publish a post and my people (I love being able to say that) read it. Two weeks later I link it up on a blog hop. My people have already read it, they aren't going to read it again to see I linked up to Yeah Write or any other blog hop. But if I publish a post written specifically for Yeah Write with that Yeah Write badge already on it - my people might be intrigued. Maybe they'll have a little extra time come Tuesday morning and click that badge to see what it's all about.

Only there you are also with your thumbnail on the grid, and since there's still a little coffee left in their cup they click your link. Maybe it's someone who's never seen your blog before or maybe they saw a post once and didn't feel it that time. Only now, you've got your very best of the week linked up to Yeah Write and they're all "Wow! How come I'm not already following this blogger?"

That's one part of the Yeah Write spirit.

The other part? We vote, but Yeah Write is not a popularity contest. Sure nobody can 100% control the internet, but Erica has come up with some pretty clever ways to make sure that the winners are truly the ones with the most skill.

For starters - each person gets to vote for five bloggers. So maybe you vote for a blogger that you read regularly, but you've still got four votes left. Should you choose to use them, you're going to vote for the posts that somehow hit with you. Some weeks, you wish you had more votes.

Most weeks as I read my way through the grid the five that should be top (in my opinion) jump out at me. Always, at least 3 of my 5 votes are in the top five. They might not even be bloggers that I would normally read - but they brought their A game and that's what counts on the Yeah Write grid.

They're the ones who write a post that grabs me from the first sentence. They're the ones who tell a story I can follow to the end - no matter what the subject is or whether the tone matches my typical style. If you are a reader, you recognize good writing when you see it. You will see a lot of it at Yeah Write.

Come join in the spirit of Yeah Write - it's their 100th challenge grid and for the month of March they're celebrating turning two. Hang out, browse a bit - I promise you'll meet at least one blogger worth following.

If your very best this week is 500 words or less and tells a compelling story, consider linking up.

If you want proof that participating in Yeah Write will help you grow as a writer, consider this - my first Yeah Write challenge post. I'm amazed they let me join the fun.

19 comments:

  1. Yeah Write scares the hell out of me!. All those talented and writers and fantastic stories, gives me nightmares at the thought of joining. Maybe I will one day...when I enough gin in my bloodstream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Write might not be for everyone, but I've been participating long enough to see some of that talent and skill evolve. It's amazing how much the regular participants grow, but yes a bit intimidating. I mean just read this post http://www.michellelongo.blogspot.ca/2013/03/stare-at-ceiling.html I promise you'll find it gripping in less than 500 words.

      Delete
    2. Lily, one day you'll know you have a story that NEEDS to be shared on Yeah Write. Don't be scared. Intimidated, maybe, because there is some serious talent. But when you link a post and you get supportive comments from those talented writers, it is totally worth it.

      Delete
  2. I was always pretty intimidated as well, It took me quite some time to work up enough courage to submit a post.

    Also, I'm far too long winded to put together any sort of post in 500 words. I admire those talented enough to pull that off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy your posts when I get to read them. Your first link-up left me with an image of you walking into your living room to a few cows sitting around enjoying your TV after your pup encouraged ALL the farm animals to come in and enjoy the warmth. It might not be accurate, but the mental image is stuck.

      Delete
  3. If I could write yes...but I can't, I rather read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I submitted a post to the Yeah Write Moonshine grid because it seemed a little more casual and relaxed and more my speed. Maybe I'll get brave and try the other grids at some point...there are some super-talented writers there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Moonshine grid is more casual, but the love is still there.

      Delete
  5. I miss Yeah Write! I love it just like you. I am hoping to be back on track next week, now that my Fantasy League is over and I think I'll actually have time to write this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could, I would hang out there every week. Sometimes though, I just don't have a post that fits the venue. The time is coming where work will demand too much of my time to participate - but I'll be back as soon as I can.

      Delete
  6. Hey, that's where I found you and your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to hone your writing and meet new to you bloggers.

      Delete
  7. Vanessa -- I just love this shout out! I joined for Challenge 63 and I don't think I've missed a week since then. I cannot tell you how much I have grown through this, mostly because it has been immeasurable.

    If you are intimidated, please know that many of us on the grids (including me) are not pros. I've never taken a creative writing class and haven't published a novel. But, like everyone who shows up there, I love words and everything about them. And I can't wait to read YOUR words because I know that if you're bringing them there, we are kindred spirits.

    Vanessa, you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtenay. I love the Yeah Write community, even on the weeks I take a break. I know I've grown, and it's been fun watching some great writers hone their craft there.

      Delete
  8. How did I miss this post?? Argh! It's like a secret you wanted me to stumble over while I was on your blog looking for one of your old yeah write posts. Thank you for such a perfect explanation of how yeah write works. You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I spent the afternoon feeling the same way I would have if a friend dropped by unexpectedly - only instead of worrying about if I had tidied my house I was oh man, Erica has seen all of my silliness now.

      Delete
  9. I had a lot of fun last week, being on the grid for my first Yeah Write. I didn't have anything to contribute this week, what with writing about my stupid home decrapification project (rather boring stuff) but I'm shooting to be there next week! (And I'm glad I found your blog, via Yeah Write of course. ) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great community. I'm too shy on time right now to do it justice, otherwise I would be hanging out there as much as I could.

      Delete